Marma is a Sanskrit word meaning hidden or secret. A marma point is a juncture on the body where two or more types of tissue meet, such as muscles, veins, ligaments, bones or joints. Although Marma points are much more than a casual connection of tissue and fluids, they are points of the vital life force. When imbalances block the movement of free-flowing energy in the body, the resulting stagnation leads to physical and mental discomfort and disease.
When we touch Marma points we stimulate the body’s biochemistry to produce exactly what the body needs, including neurochemicals and hormones that heal the body, mind and consciousness.
Benefits of Marma therapy
- all the benefit of traditional massage
- strengthens the organ systems and tissues
- regenerates tissue
- relieves physical and mental blockages of energy
- helps remove excess ama (toxins)
- prevents aging
- improves lymph
- increases the protection from vata disorders
- nourishes the body
- encourages good sleep
- improves physical stability
- balances the dosha
- helps easy flow of energy through the energy channels.