asana of the month
viparita = turned around, reversed, inverted
karani = doing, making, action
with the change of the season in full force we need to take time to slow down. i honestly can’t think of a better pose to do this in than legs up the wall. this is truly one of my favorites!! if you can’t find time to do your daily practice or just need some quiet time, do this pose from anywhere from 1 minute to as long as you wish!
– relieves tired or cramped legs and feet
– gently stretches the back legs, front torso, and the back of the neck
– relieves mild backache
– calms the mind
– serious eye problems such as glaucoma
– use your own judgment if you are menstruating: some people advise doing any inversions while you are on your period but some people seem to do just fine. most importantly, listen to your body.
– since legs up the wall pose is considered a restorative pose, it is usually included towards the end of your practice or could be done alone.